Safety, health and HIV/Aids
The Company has expended significant effort in developing and implementing an extensive and comprehensive safety environment at all of its workplaces. A number of the Company’s collieries have received awards for safety performance in the past, recognised by the South African Department of Mineral Resources and the South African Colliery Managers Association.
We aim to establish and maintain a safety, health and environmental management structure in compliance with legislated requirements, and in accordance with accepted industry practice.
The following broad tenets in terms of workplace safety apply to operational management:
- Management will be held accountable for safety and health.
- Management is responsible for workforce competence through selection, retention, education, training and awareness in all aspects of safety, health and the environment.
- Identify, assess and prioritise all risks and hazards, and implement measures to prevent, minimise or control priority risks through design, management and other procedures.
- Set appropriate goals, objectives and targets.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of management and workplace performance on an ongoing basis through internal and external audits and assessments.
- Promote dialogue with employees, contractors, local communities, regulatory authorities, business partners and other interested and affected parties.
- Promote an environment of innovation and continuous improvement.